April 19, 2005
Li-ion/Li Polymer Battery Charger
The ISL6292B uses Intersil’s patent-pending dual-mode
charge technology to minimize the heat in a linear charger.
The ISL6292B is a modification of the original ISL6292 and
is optimized for cellular phone travel charger applications.
The low-heat generation feature of the dual-mode charger
enables the charger IC to be placed inside the connector of
the travel charger to completely remove the influence of the
adapter cable on the charging performance.
Working with a current-limited ac/dc converter, the dual-
mode charger charges a Li-ion battery with the same current
profile as a traditional linear charger. The constant charge
current is determined by the current limit of the ac/dc
converter. The constant output voltage is fixed at 4.2V. When
the battery voltage is below 2.8V, the charger preconditions
the battery with a low trickle-charge current. The charge
status is indicated by a tri-color LED. A safety timer prevents
charging a dead battery for an excessively long period.
The ISL6292B also features a thermal foldback function that
automatically reduces the charge current when the internal
die temperature exceeds a 100°C limit to prevent further
temperature rise. This function removes the concern of
thermal failure in the targeted space-limited applications. An
ambient temperature monitoring circuit allows users to set
two separate temperature limit levels, one for during charge
and one for not during charge. The thermally-enhanced QFN
package further improves the thermal performance of the
ISL6292B in space-limited applications.
PART NUMBER TEMP. RANGE (°C) PKG. DWG. #
-20 to 70
16 Ld 4x4 QFN
-20 to 70
16 Ld 4x4 QFN
*Add “-T” suffix for tape and reel.
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free products employ special Pb-free material
sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100% matte tin
plate termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and compatible
with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil Pb-free
products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that
meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
ISL6292B TOP VIEW
16 15 14 13
• Complete Charger for Single-Cell Li-ion Batteries
• Integrated Pass Element and Current Sensor
• No External Blocking Diode Required
• Very Low Thermal Dual-Mode Operation
• 1% Voltage Accuracy with Remote Sense
• Programmable Current Limit up to 1.5A
• Programmable End-of-Charge Current
• Programmable Safety Timer
• Drives a Tri-Color LED
• Charge Current Thermal Foldback
• NTC Thermistor Interface for Battery Temperature Monitor
• Two-Level Ambient Temperature Setting
• Guaranteed to Operate at 2.65V After Start-Up
• Ambient Temperature Range: -20°C to 70°C
• Thermally-Enhanced QFN Packages
• QFN Package:
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220
QFN - Quad Flat No Leads - Package Outline
- Near Chip Scale Package footprint, which improves
PCB efficiency and has a thinner profile
• Pb-Free Available (RoHS Compliant)
• Handheld Devices including Medical Handhelds
• PDAs, Cell Phones and Smart Phones
• Portable Instruments, MP3 Players
• Self-Charging Battery Packs
• Stand-Alone Chargers
• USB Bus-Powered Chargers
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
• Technical Brief TB379 “Thermal Characterization of
Packaged Semiconductor Devices”
• Technical Brief TB389 “PCB Land Pattern Design and
Surface Mount Guidelines for QFN Packages”
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-352-6832 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2004, 2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.