SMCG5.0 – SMCG170CA,
SMCJ5.0 – SMCJ170CA
Surface Mount 1500 Watt
Transient Voltage Suppressor
The SMC 5.0 through SMC 170A series of 1500 watt Transient Voltage Suppressors (TVSs)
protects a variety of voltage-sensitive components. The gull-wing design (SMCG) in the DO-215AB
package allows for visible solder connections. The J-bend design (SMCJ) in the DO-214AB
package allows for greater PC board mounting density. Selections include unidirectional and
bidirectional as well as RoHS compliant versions. They can protect from secondary lightning
effects per IEC61000-4-5 and class levels defined herein, or for inductive switching environments
and induced RF protection. Since their response time is virtually instantaneous, they can also be
used in protection from ESD and EFT per IEC61000-4-2 and IEC61000-4-4. Microsemi also offers
numerous other products to meet higher and lower power voltage regulation applications.
Important: For the latest information, visit our website http://www.microsemi.com.
• Economical surface mount design with gull-wing or J-bend terminations.
• Wide leads assure a large surface contact for good heat dissipation and a low resistance path for
surge current flow to ground.
• Available in both unidirectional and bidirectional construction.
• Designed specifically for transient voltage suppression.
• Ideal for protecting sensitive components such as integrated circuits and MOS devices.
• Moisture classification is “Level 1” with no dry pack required per IPC/JEDEC J-STD-020B.
• RoHS compliant versions available.
• Axial-lead equivalent packages for thru-hole mounting are available as 1.5KE6.8A to 1.5KE200CA
or 1N6267 through 1N6303A and 1N5908 (contact Microsemi for other surface mount options).
NOTE: All SMC series are
equivalent to prior SMM package
Also available in:
APPLICATIONS / BENEFITS
• Selections for 5.0 to 170 volts standoff voltages (VWM).
• Tolerance levels of 5% or 10% available.
• Protection from switching transients and induced RF.
• Protection from ESD, and EFT per IEC 61000-4-2 and IEC 61000-4-4.
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 42 ohms source impedance:
Class 1: SMC 5.0 to SMC 170A or CA
Class 2: SMC 5.0 to SMC 150A or CA
Class 3: SMC 5.0 to SMC 75A or CA
Class 4: SMC 5.0 to SMC 36A or CA
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 12 ohms source impedance:
Class 1: SMC 5.0 to SMC 90A or CA
Class 2: SMC 5.0 to SMC 45A or CA
Class 3: SMC 5.0 to SMC 24A or CA
Class 4: SMC 5.0 to SMC 11A or CA
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 2 ohms source impedance:
Class 2: SMC 5.0 to SMC 22A or CA
Class 3: SMC 5.0 to SMC 10A or CA
MSC – Lawrence
6 Lake Street,
Lawrence, MA 01841
Tel: 1-800-446-1158 or
Fax: (978) 689-0803
MSC – Ireland
Gort Road Business Park,
Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 65 6840044
Fax: +353 (0) 65 6822298
RF01116, Rev. A (3/27/13)
©2013 Microsemi Corporation
Page 1 of 7