14KESD5.0 thru 14KESD170CA, e3
These small axial-leaded TVS devices feature the ability to clamp
dangerous high voltage, short-term transients such as produced by directed
or radiated electrostatic discharge phenomena before entering sensitive
component regions of a circuit design. They are small economical transient
voltage suppressors targeted primarily for short-term transients below a few
microseconds while still achieving significant peak-pulse-power capability
as illustrated in Figure #1.
IMPORTANT: For the most current data, consult MICROSEMI’s website: http://www.microsemi.com
• Excellent protection in clamping direct ESD level
transients in excess of 40,000 V per MIL-STD-750,
Method 1020 (approx. 150 ns exponential wave)
• Absorbs ESD level transients* of 14,000 Watts per MIL-
STD-750, Method 1020 (approximately 150 ns
exponential wave, or one microsecond transients up to
4000 watts. See Figure #1 and #2 for overall transient
Peak Pulse Power.
• Clamps Transients in less than 100 picoseconds
• Working Stand-off Voltage range of 5V to 170V
• Hermetic DO-41 Package. Also available in surface
mount DO-213AB MELF package (see separate data
• RoHS Compliant devices available by adding “e3” suffix
APPLICATIONS / BENEFITS
• Protects Sensitive circuits from short duration fast
rise time transients such as Electrostatic Discharge
(ESD) or Electrical Fast Transients (EFT)
• Minimal capacitance (See Figure #3)
• Flexible axial-lead mounting terminals
• Bidirectional features available by adding a “C” or
• 4000 Watts for One Microsecond Square Wave or
14,000 watts per ESD Wave form of MIL-STD-750,
• See Surge Rating curve in Figures #1 and 2.
• Operating and storage temperature –65oC to 175oC
• THERMAL RESISTANCE: Less than 83oC/Watt
junction to lead at 0.375 inches from body.
• DC power dissipation 1500 mW at TL = 75oC at 3/8
inch (10 mm) lead length from body.
• Derate at 22.8 W/oC above 25oC for PPP (1μs) and
at 15 mW/oC above 75oC for dc power.
• Forward Surge Current 500 amps for 1μs at TL =
25oC (rise time > 100 ns).
MECHANICAL AND PACKAGING
• CASE: Hermetically sealed axial-lead glass DO-41
• FINISH: Tin-lead or RoHS compliant matte-Tin
plating solderable per MIL-STD-750, method 2026
• POLARITY: Banded end is cathode
• WEIGHT: 0.378 grams (typical)
• MARKING: Part number
• TAPE & REEL option: Standard per EIA-296 (add
“TR” suffix to part number)
• See package dimension on last page
Copyright © 2007
6-8-2007 REV C
8700 E. Thomas Rd. PO Box 1390, Scottsdale, AZ 85252 USA, (480) 941-6300, Fax: (480) 947-1503