FORDRNO®EPW-INDEESNDIHGaAtNaNSSC, hIENeDTeEPtRRSOILDURCETCO- IMSML6E6N0D9S
May 9, 2006
Synchronous Rectified MOSFET Driver
The ISL6605 is a high frequency, MOSFET driver optimized
to drive two N-Channel power MOSFETs in a synchronous-
rectified buck converter topology. This driver combined with
an Intersil HIP63xx or ISL65xx Multi-Phase Buck PWM
controller forms a complete single-stage core-voltage
regulator solution with high efficiency performance at high
switching frequency for advanced microprocessors.
The IC is biased by a single low voltage supply (5V) and
minimizes low driver switching losses for high MOSFET gate
capacitance and high switching frequency applications.
Each driver is capable of driving a 3000pF load with an 8ns
propagation delay and less than 10ns transition time. This
product implements bootstrapping on the upper gate with an
internal bootstrap Schottky diode, reducing implementation
cost, complexity, and allowing the use of higher
performance, cost effective N-Channel MOSFETs. Adaptive
shoot-through protection is integrated to prevent both
MOSFETs from conducting simultaneously.
The ISL6605 features 4A typical sink current for the lower
gate driver, which is capable of holding the lower MOSFET
gate during the Phase node rising edge to prevent shoot-
through power loss caused by the high dv/dt of the Phase
• Drives Two N-Channel MOSFETs
• Adaptive Shoot-Through Protection
• 0.4Ω On-Resistance and 4A Sink Current Capability
• Supports High Switching Frequency
- Fast Output Rise and Fall Time
- Ultra Low Propagation Delay 8ns
• Three-State PWM Input for Power Stage Shutdown
• Internal Bootstrap Schottky Diode
• Low Bias Supply Current (5V, 30µA)
• Enable Input
• QFN Package
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN-Quad Flat
No Leads-Product Outline.
- Near Chip-Scale Package Footprint; Improves PCB
Efficiency and Thinner in Profile.
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
• Core Voltage Supplies for Intel® and AMD®
• High Frequency Low Profile DC/DC Converters
• High Current Low Voltage DC/DC Converters
• Synchronous Rectification for Isolated Power Supplies
The ISL6605 also features a Three-State PWM input that,
working together with Intersil multi-phase PWM controllers,
will prevent a negative transient on the output voltage when
the output is being shut down. This feature eliminates the
Schottky diode that is usually seen in a microprocessor
power system for protecting the microprocessor from
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
(8 LD SOIC)
(8 LD QFN)
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2002-2006. All Rights Reserved
Intel® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation. AMD® is a registered trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.