FORDRNO®EPW-INDEESNDIHGaAtNaNSSC, hIENeDTeEPtRRSOILDURCETCO- IMSML6E5N3D5S
March 10, 2006
Buck and Synchronous Rectifier
Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) Controller
The ISL6522 provides complete control and protection for a
DC-DC converter optimized for high-performance micro-
processor applications. It is designed to drive two N-Channel
MOSFETs in a synchronous rectified buck topology. The
ISL6522 integrates all of the control, output adjustment,
monitoring and protection functions into a single package.
The output voltage of the converter can be precisely
regulated to as low as 0.8V, with a maximum tolerance of
±1% over temperature and line voltage variations.
The ISL6522 provides simple, single feedback loop, voltage-
mode control with fast transient response. It includes a
200kHz free-running triangle-wave oscillator that is
adjustable from below 50kHz to over 1MHz. The error
amplifier features a 15MHz gain-bandwidth product and
6V/µs slew rate which enables high converter bandwidth for
fast transient performance. The resulting PWM duty ratio
ranges from 0–100%.
The ISL6522 protects against overcurrent conditions by
inhibiting PWM operation. The ISL6522 monitors the current
by using the rDS(ON) of the upper MOSFET which eliminates
the need for a current sensing resistor.
• Drives two N-Channel MOSFETs
• Operates from +5V or +12V input
• Simple single-loop control design
- Voltage-mode PWM control
• Fast transient response
- High-bandwidth error amplifier
- Full 0–100% duty ratio
• Excellent output voltage regulation
- 0.8V internal reference
- ±1% over line voltage and temperature
• Overcurrent fault monitor
- Does not require extra current sensing element
- Uses MOSFETs rDS(ON)
• Converter can source and sink current
• Small converter size
- Constant frequency operation
- 200kHz free-running oscillator programmable from
50kHz to over 1MHz
• 14-lead SOIC and TSSOP package and 16-lead 5x5mm
• QFN Package
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN-Quad Flat
No Leads-Product Outline.
- Near Chip-Scale Package Footprint; Improves PCB
Efficiency and Thinner in Profile
• Pb-free plus anneal available (RoHS compliant)
• Power supply for Pentium®, Pentium Pro, PowerPC® and
• High-power 5V to 3.xV DC-DC regulators
• Low-voltage distributed power supplies
16 15 14 13
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2001, 2002, 2004-2006. All Rights Reserved
PowerPC® is a trademark of IBM. AlphaPC™ is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation. Pentium® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.