Surface Mount Varistors
Multilayer Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors
ML Varistor Series
The ML Series family of Transient Voltage Surge Suppression devices is
based on the Littelfuse Multilayer fabrication technology. These compo-
nents are designed to suppress a variety of transient events, including
those specified in IEC 61000-4-2 or other standards used for Electromagnetic
Compliance (EMC). The ML Series is typically applied to protect integrated
circuits and other components at the circuit board level.
The wide operating voltage and energy range make the ML Series suit-
able for numerous applications on power supply, control and signal lines.
The ML Series is manufactured from semiconducting ceramics, and is
supplied in a leadless, surface mount package. The ML Series is compat-
ible with modern reflow and wave soldering procedures.
It can operate over a wider temperature range than zener diodes, and
has a much smaller footprint than plastic-housed components.
Littelfuse Inc. manufactures other Multilayer Series products. See the
MLE Series data sheet for ESD applications, MHS Series data sheet for
high-speed ESD applications, the MLN for multiline protection and the
AUML Series for automotive applications.
• Leadless 0402, 0603, 0805, 1206 and 1210 Chip Sizes
• Multilayer Ceramic Construction Technology
•-55oC to +125oC Operating Temperature Range
• Operating Voltage Range VM(DC) = 5.5V to 120V
• Rated for Surge Current (8 x 20µs)
• Rated for Energy (10 x 1000µs)
• Inherent Bi-directional Clamping
• No Plastic or Epoxy Packaging Assures Better than 94V-0
• Standard Low Capacitance Types Available
• Suppression of Inductive Switching or Other Transient Events Such
as EFT and Surge Voltage at the Circuit Board Level
• ESD Protection for Components Sensitive to IEC 61000-4-2,
MIL-STD-883C Method 3015.7, and Other Industry Specifications
(See Also the MLE or MLN Series)
• Provides On-Board Transient Voltage Protection for ICs and Transistors
• Used to Help Achieve Electromagnetic Compliance of End Products
• Replace Larger Surface Mount TVS Zeners in
140 w w w . l i t t e l f u s e . c o m