March 20, 2007
Multiphase PWM Controller with Linear
6-Bit DAC Capable of Precision rDS(ON) or
DCR Differential Current Sensing
The ISL6564A is a Multiphase PWM controller which controls
microprocessor core voltage regulation by driving up to
4 synchronous-rectified buck channels. It features a high
bandwidth control loop to provide optimal response to the load
transients. With switching frequency up to 1.5MHz per phase,
the ISL6564A based voltage regulator requires minimum
components and PCB area in DC/DC converter application.
The ISL6564A senses current by utilizing patented
techniques to measure the voltage across the on resistance,
rDS(ON), of the lower MOSFETs or DCR of the output
inductor during their conduction intervals. Current sensing
provides the needed signals for precision droop, channel-
current balancing, and overcurrent protection.
A unity gain, differential amplifier is provided for remote
voltage sensing. Any potential difference between remote
and local grounds can be completely eliminated using the
remote-sense amplifier. Eliminating ground differences
improves regulation and protection accuracy. The threshold-
sensitive enable input is available to accurately coordinate
the start up of the ISL6564A with any other voltage rail.
Dynamic-VID™ technology allows seamless on-the-fly VID
changes. The offset pin allows accurate voltage offset
settings that are independent of VID setting. The ISL6564A
uses a 5V bias and has a built-in shunt regulator to allow
12V bias using only a small external limiting resistor.
PART NUMBER MARKING
PACKAGE DWG. #
ISL6564ACRZ* ISL6564 ACRZ 0 to +70 40 Ld 6x6 QFN L40.6x6
ISL6564AIRZ* ISL6564 AIRZ -40 to +85 40 Ld 6x6 QFN L40.6x6
*Add “-T” suffix for tape and reel.
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free plus anneal products employ special Pb-free
material sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100%
matte tin plate termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and
compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil
Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow
temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of
IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
• Precision Multiphase Core Voltage Regulation
- Differential Remote Voltage Sensing
- ±0.5% System Accuracy
- Adjustable Reference-Voltage Offset
• Precision rDS(ON) or DCR Current Sensing
- Accurate Load-Line Programming
- Accurate Channel-Current Balancing
- Differential Current Sense
- Low-Cost, Lossless Current Sensing
• Internal Shunt Regulator for 5V or 12V Biasing
• Microprocessor Voltage Identification Input
- Self Clocked Dynamic VID™ Control Technology
- 6-Bit VID Input
- 0.525V to 1.300V in 12.5mV Steps
• Threshold-Sensitive Enable Function for Power
• Overcurrent Protection
• Overvoltage Protection
- No Additional External Components Needed
- OVP Pin to Drive Crowbar Device
• 1, 2, 3, or 4 Phase Operation
• Up to 1.5MHz Per Phase Operation (>6MHz Ripple)
• QFN Package
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN - Quad Flat
No Leads - Product Outline
- QFN Near Chip Scale Package Footprint; Improves
PCB Efficiency, Thinner in Profile
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2006-2007. All Rights Reserved. Dynamic VID™ is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.