November 22, 2006
Dual Synchronous Rectified MOSFET
The ISL6597 integrates two ISL6596 drivers and is
optimized to drive two independent power channels in a
synchronous-rectified buck converter topology. These
drivers, combined with an Intersil multiphase PWM
controller, form a complete high efficiency voltage regulator
The IC is biased by a single low voltage supply (5V),
minimizing driver switching losses in high MOSFET gate
capacitance and high switching frequency applications.
Each driver is capable of driving a 3nF load with less than
10ns rise/fall time. Bootstrapping of the upper gate driver is
implemented via an internal low forward drop diode,
reducing implementation cost, complexity, and allowing the
use of higher performance, cost effective N-Channel
MOSFETs. Adaptive shoot-through protection is integrated
to prevent both MOSFETs from conducting simultaneously.
The ISL6597 features 4A typical sink current for the lower
gate driver, enhancing the lower MOSFET gate hold-down
capability during PHASE node rising edge, preventing power
loss caused by the self turn-on of the lower MOSFET due to
the high dV/dt of the switching node.
The ISL6597 also features an input that recognizes a high-
impedance state, working together with Intersil multi-phase
3.3V or 5V PWM controllers to prevent negative transients
on the controlled output voltage when operation is
suspended. This feature eliminates the need for the schottky
diode that may be utilized in a power system to protect the
load from negative output voltage damage.
65 97CRZ 0 to +70 16 Ld 4x4 QFN L16.4x4
Add “-T” suffix for tape and reel.
NOTE: Intersil Pb-free plus anneal products employ special Pb-free
material sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and 100%
matte tin plate termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and
compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil
Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow
temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of
IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
• 5V Quad N-Channel MOSFET Drives for Two
Synchronous Rectified Bridges
• Adaptive Shoot-Through Protection
• Programmable Deadtime for Efficiency Optimization
• Diode Emulation for Efficiency and Pre-Biased Startup
• 0.4Ω On-Resistance and 4A Sink Current Capability
• Supports High Switching Frequency
- Fast Output Rise and Fall
- Ultra Low Tri-State Hold-Off Time (20ns)
• Low VF Internal Bootstrap Diode
• Low Bias Supply Current
• Support 3.3V and 5V PWM Input
• Enable Input and Power-On Reset
• QFN Package
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN-Quad Flat
No Leads-Product Outline
- Near Chip-Scale Package Footprint; Improves PCB
Utilization and Thinner in Profile
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
• Core Voltage Supplies for Intel® and AMD®
• High Frequency Low Profile High Efficiency DC/DC
• High Current Low Voltage DC/DC Converters
• Synchronous Rectification for Isolated Power Supplies
• Technical Brief TB389 “PCB Land Pattern Design and
Surface Mount Guidelines for QFN (MLFP) Packages”
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved
AMD® is a registered trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.