March 6, 2006
Synchronous Rectified MOSFET Driver
The ISL6609, ISL6609A is a high frequency, MOSFET driver
optimized to drive two N-Channel power MOSFETs in a
synchronous-rectified buck converter topology. This driver
combined with an Intersil ISL63xx or ISL65xx multiphase
PWM controller forms a complete single-stage core-voltage
regulator solution with high efficiency performance at high
switching frequency for advanced microprocessors.
The IC is biased by a single low voltage supply (5V),
minimizing driver switching losses in high MOSFET gate
capacitance and high switching frequency applications.
Each driver is capable of driving a 3nF load with less than
10ns rise/fall time. Bootstrapping of the upper gate driver is
implemented via an internal low forward drop diode,
reducing implementation cost, complexity, and allowing the
use of higher performance, cost effective N-Channel
MOSFETs. Adaptive shoot-through protection is integrated
to prevent both MOSFETs from conducting simultaneously.
The ISL6609, ISL6609A features 4A typical sink current for
the lower gate driver, enhancing the lower MOSFET gate
hold-down capability during PHASE node rising edge,
preventing power loss caused by the self turn-on of the lower
MOSFET due to the high dV/dt of the switching node.
The ISL6609, ISL6609A also features an input that
recognizes a high-impedance state, working together with
Intersil multiphase PWM controllers to prevent negative
transients on the controlled output voltage when operation is
suspended. This feature eliminates the need for the schottky
diode that may be utilized in a power system to protect the
load from negative output voltage damage. In addition, the
ISL6609A’s bootstrap function is designed to prevent the
BOOT capacitor from overcharging, should excessively large
negative swings occur at the transitions of the PHASE node.
• Drives Two N-Channel MOSFETs
• Adaptive Shoot-Through Protection
• 0.4Ω On-Resistance and 4A Sink Current Capability
• Supports High Switching Frequency
- Fast Output Rise and Fall
- Ultra Low Three-State Hold-Off Time (20ns)
• ISL6605 Replacement with Enhanced Performance
• BOOT Capacitor Overcharge Prevention (ISL6609A)
• Low VF Internal Bootstrap Diode
• Low Bias Supply Current
• Enable Input and Power-On Reset
• QFN Package
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN-Quad Flat
No Leads-Product Outline
- Near Chip-Scale Package Footprint; Improves PCB
Efficiency and Thinner in Profile
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
• Core Voltage Supplies for Intel® and AMD®
• High Frequency Low Profile High Efficiency DC/DC
• High Current Low Voltage DC/DC Converters
• Synchronous Rectification for Isolated Power Supplies
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2005, 2006. All Rights Reserved. Intel® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.
AMD® is a registered trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.