Single-Phase PWM Regulator for IMVP-6.5™ Mobile
CPUs and GPUs
The ISL62881 is a single-phase PWM buck regulator for
miroprocessor or graphics processor core power supply.
It uses an integrated gate drivers to provide a complete
solution. The PWM modulator of ISL62881 is based on
Intersil's Robust Ripple Regulator (R3) technology™.
Compared with traditional modulators, the R3™
modulator commands variable switching frequency
during load transients, achieving faster transient
response. With the same modulator, the switching
frequency is reduced at light load, increasing the
The ISL62881 can be configured as CPU or graphics
Vcore controller and is fully compliant with IMVP-6.5™
specifications. It responds to DPRSLPVR signals by
entering/exiting diode emulation mode. It reports the
regulator output current through the IMON pin. It senses
the current by using either discrete resistor or inductor
DCR whose variation over-temperature can be thermally
compensated by a single NTC thermistor. It uses
differential remote voltage sensing to accurately regulate
the processor die voltage. The adaptive body diode
conduction time reduction function minimizes the body
diode conduction loss in diode emulation mode.
User-selectable overshoot reduction function offers an
option to aggressively reduce the output capacitors as
well as the option to disable it for users concerned about
increased system thermal stress.
Maintaining all the ISL62881 functions, the ISL62881B
offers VR_TT# function for thermal throttling control. It
www.aDlastoaSohfefeetr4sUt.hcoemsplit LGATE function to further improve
light load efficiency.
• Precision Core Voltage Regulation
- 0.5% System Accuracy Over-Temperature
- Enhanced Load Line Accuracy
• Voltage Identification Input
- 7-Bit VID Input, 0V to 1.500V in 12.5mV Steps
- Supports VID Changes On-The-Fly
• Supports Multiple Current Sensing Methods
- Lossless Inductor DCR Current Sensing
- Precision Resistor Current Sensing
• Superior Noise Immunity and Transient Response
• Current Monitor
• Differential Remote Voltage Sensing
• High Efficiency Across Entire Load Range
• Integrated Gate Driver
• Split LGATE Driver to Increase Light-Load Efficiency
• Adaptive Body Diode Conduction Time Reduction
• User-selectable Overshoot Reduction Function
• Capable of Disabling the Droop Function
• Audio-filtering for GPU Application
• Small Footprint 28 Ld 4x4 TQFN Package
• Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
• Notebook Computers
(Notes 1, 2, 3)
-10 to +100
28 Ld 4x4 TQFN
-10 to +100
32 Ld 5x5 TQFN
1. Add “-T” suffix for tape and reel. Please refer to TB347 for details on reel specifications.
2. These Intersil Pb-free plastic packaged products employ special Pb-free material sets, molding compounds/die attach
materials, and 100% matte tin plate plus anneal (e3 termination finish, which is RoHS compliant and compatible with both
SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations). Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that
meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
3. For Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL), please see device information page for ISL62881, ISL62881B. For more information on
MSL please see techbrief TB363.
October 26, 2009
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2009. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.