August 14, 2008
PWM DC/DC Voltage Regulator Controller
The ISL62870 IC is a Single-Phase Synchronous-Buck
PWM voltage regulator featuring Intersil’s Robust Ripple
Regulator (R3) Technology™. The ISL62870 provides a low
cost solution for compact high performance applications.The
wide 3.3V to 25V input voltage range is ideal for systems
that run on battery or AC adapter power sources. Resistor
programmed output voltage setpoint and capacitor
programmed soft-start delay allow for fast and easy
implementation. Robust integrated MOSFET drivers and
Schottky bootstrap diode reduce the implementation area and
lower component cost.
Intersil’s R3 Technology™ combines the best features of
both fixed-frequency and hysteretic PWM control. The PWM
frequency is 300kHz during static operation, becoming
variable during changes in load, setpoint voltage, and input
voltage when changing between battery and AC adapter
power. The modulators ability to change the PWM switching
frequency during these events in conjunction with external
loop compensation produces superior transient response.
For maximum efficiency, the converter automatically enters
diode-emulation mode (DEM) during light-load conditions
such as system standby.
(16 LD 2.6X1.8 µTQFN)
• Input Voltage Range: 3.3V to 25V
• Output Voltage Range: 0.5V to 3.3V
• Output Load to 30A
• Simple Resistor Programming for Output Voltage
• ±0.75% System Accuracy: -10°C to +100°C
• Capacitor Programming for Soft-Start Delay
• Fixed 300kHz PWM Frequency in Continuous Conduction
• External Compensation Affords Optimum Control Loop
• Automatic Diode Emulation Mode for Highest Efficiency
• Integrated High-Current MOSFET Drivers and Schottky
Boot-Strap Diode for Optimal Efficiency
• Choice of Overcurrent Detection Schemes
- Lossless Inductor DCR Current Sensing
- Precision Resistive Current Sensing
• Power-Good Monitor for Soft-Start and Fault Detection
• Fault Protection
- Overcurrent (DCR-Sense or Resistive-Sense Capability)
- Over-Temperature Protection
- Fault Identification by PGOOD Pull-Down Resistance
• Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
• Mobile PC Graphical Processing Unit VCC Rail
• Mobile PC I/O Controller Hub (ICH) VCC Rail
• Mobile PC Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) VCC Rail
-10 to +100
16 Ld 2.6x1.8 µTQFN
-10 to +100
16 Ld 2.6x1.8 µTQFN
*Please refer to TB347 for details on reel specifications.
NOTE: These Intersil Pb-free plastic packaged products employ special Pb-free material sets; molding compounds/die attach materials and
NiPdAu plate - e4 termination finish, which is RoHS compliant and compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations. Intersil Pb-free
products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2008. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.