August 25, 2010
Highly Integrated Battery Charger
Controller for Notebook Computers
The ISL6252, ISL6252A is a highly integrated battery charger
controller for Li-ion/Li-ion polymer batteries. High Efficiency is
achieved by a synchronous buck topology. The low side
MOSFET emulates a diode at light loads to improve the light
load efficiency and prevent system bus boosting.
The constant output voltage can be selected for 2, 3 and 4
series Li-ion cells with 0.5% accuracy over-temperature. It can
also be programmed between 4.2V + 5%/cell and
4.2V - 5%/cell to optimize battery capacity. When supplying
the load and battery charger simultaneously, the input current
limit for the AC adapter is programmable to within 3%
accuracy to avoid overloading the AC adapter, and to allow
the system to make efficient use of available adapter power
for charging. It also has a wide range of programmable
charging current. The ISL6252, ISL6252A provides outputs
that are used to monitor the current drawn from the AC
adapter, and monitor for the presence of an AC adapter. The
ISL6252, ISL6252A automatically transitions from regulating
current mode to regulating voltage mode.
(Notes 1, 2, 3)
RANGE PACKAGE PKG.
(°C) (Pb-Free) DWG. #
ISL6252HRZ ISL 6252HRZ -10 to +100 28 Ld 5x5 L28.5x5
ISL6252HAZ ISL 6252HAZ -10 to +100 24 Ld
ISL6252AHRZ ISL6252 AHRZ -10 to +100 28 Ld 5x5 L28.5x5
ISL6252AHAZ ISL6252 AHAZ -10 to +100 24 Ld
1. Please refer to TB347 for details on reel specifications.
2. These Intersil Pb-free plastic packaged products employ
special Pb-free material sets, molding compounds/die
attach materials, and 100% matte tin plate plus anneal
(e3 termination finish, which is RoHS compliant and
compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering
operations). Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified
at Pb-free peak reflow temperatures that meet or
exceed the Pb-free requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-
3. For Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL), please see device
information page for ISL6252, ISL6252A. For more
information on MSL please see techbrief TB363.
• ±0.5% Charge Voltage Accuracy (-10°C to +100°C)
• ±3% Accurate Input Current Limit
• ±3% Accurate Battery Charge Current Limit
• ±25% Accurate Battery Trickle Charge Current Limit
• Programmable Charge Current Limit, Adapter Current
Limit and Charge Voltage
• Fixed 300kHz PWM Synchronous Buck Controller with
Diode Emulation at Light Load
• Overvoltage Protection
• Output for Current Drawn from AC Adapter
• AC Adapter Present Indicator
• Fast Input Current Limit Response
• Input Voltage Range 7V to 25V
• Support 2-, 3- and 4-Cells Battery Pack
• Up to 17.64V Battery-Voltage Set Point
• Thermal Shutdown
• Less than 10µA Battery Leakage Current
• Supports Pulse Charging
• Pb-free (RoHS Compliant)
• Notebook, Desknote and Sub-notebook Computers
• Personal Digital Assistant
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2007, 2008, 2010. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.