July 8, 2010
5-Bit VID Single-Phase Voltage Regulator
with Current Monitor for IMVP-6+ Santa
Rosa GPU Core
The ISL6263B IC is a Single-Phase Synchronous-Buck
PWM voltage regulator featuring Intersil’s Robust Ripple
Regulator (R3) Technology™. The ISL6263B is an
implementation of the Intel® Mobile Voltage Positioning
(IMVP) protocol for GPU Render Engine core power.
Integrated current monitor, droop amplifier, MOSFET drivers
and bootstrap diode result in smaller implementation area and
lower component cost.
Intersil’s R3 Technology™ combines the best features of
both fixed-frequency PWM and hysteretic PWM, delivering
excellent light-load efficiency and superior load transient
response by commanding variable switching frequency
during the transitory event. For maximum conversion
efficiency, the ISL6263B automatically enters diode-
emulation mode (DEM) should the inductor current attempt
to flow negative. DEM is highly configurable and easy to
set-up. A PWM filter can be enabled that prevents the
switching frequency from entering the audible spectrum as a
result of extremely light load while in DEM.
The Render core voltage can be dynamically programmed
from 0.41200V to 1.28750V by the five VID input pins
without requiring sequential stepping of the VID states. The
ISL6263B requires only one capacitor for both the soft-start
slew-rate and the dynamic VID slew-rate by internally
connecting the SOFT pin to the appropriate current source.
Processor socket Kelvin sensing is accomplished with an
integrated unity-gain true differential amplifier.
(Notes 2, 3)
MARKING TEMP (°C) (Pb-Free) DWG. #
ISL6263BHRZ ISL6263 BHRZ -10 to +100 32 Ld 5x5 QFN L32.5x5
ISL6263BHRZ-T ISL6263 BHRZ -10 to +100 32 Ld 5x5 QFN L32.5x5
Tape and Reel
1. Please refer to TB347 for details on reel specifications.
2. These Intersil Pb-free plastic packaged products employ special Pb-
free material sets, molding compounds/die attach materials, and
100% matte tin plate plus anneal (e3 termination finish, which is RoHS
compliant and compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering
operations). Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free
peak reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free
requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
3. For Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL), please see device information
page for ISL6263B. For more information on MSL please see techbrief
• Precision single-phase core voltage regulator
- 0.5% system accuracy 0°C to +100°C
- Differential remote GPU die voltage sensing
- Differential droop voltage sensing
• Real-time GPU current monitor output
• Applications up to 25A
• Input voltage range: +5.0V to +25.0V
• Programmable PWM frequency: 200kHz to 500kHz
• Pre-biased output start-up capability
• 5-bit voltage identification input (VID)
- 1.28750V to 0.41200V
- 25.75mV steps
- Sequential or non-sequential VID change on-the-fly
• Configurable PWM modes
- forced continuous conduction mode
- automatic entry and exit of diode emulation mode
- selectable audible frequency PWM filter
• Integrated MOSFET drivers and bootstrap diode
• Choice of current sensing schemes
- Lossless inductor DCR current sensing
- Precision resistive current sensing
• Overvoltage, undervoltage and overcurrent protection
• Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
ISL6263B (32 LD 5x5 QFN)
30 29 28 27
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2007, 2008, 2010. All Rights Reserved. R3 Technology™ is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.