PWM Doubler with Output Monitoring Feature
The ISL6617A utilizes Intersil’s proprietary Phase Doubler
scheme to modulate two-phase power trains with single PWM
input. It doubles the number of phases that 3.3V multiphase
controllers can support.
The ISL6617A is designed to minimize the number of analog
signals that interface between the controller and drivers in high
phase count scalable applications. The common COMP signal,
which is usually seen in conventional cascaded configurations, is
not required; this improves noise immunity and simplifies the
layout. Furthermore, the ISL6617A provides low part count and
low cost advantage over the conventional cascaded technique.
By cascading the ISL6617A with another ISL6617 or ISL6611A, it
can quadruple the number of phases that 3.3V multiphase
controllers can support.
The ISL6617A also features tri-state input and outputs that
recognize a high-impedance state, working together with Intersil
multiphase PWM controllers and driver stages to prevent
negative transients on the controlled output voltage when
operation is suspended. This feature eliminates the need for the
Schottky diode that may be utilized in a power system to protect
the load from excessive negative output voltage damage.
• High current low voltage DC/DC converters
• High frequency and high efficiency VRM and VRD
• High phase count and phase shedding applications
• 3.3V PWM input integrated power stage or DrMOS
• Proprietary phase doubler scheme
• Enhanced light to full load efficiency
• Double or quadruple phase count
• Patented current balancing with DCR current sensing and
• Current monitoring output (IOUT) to simplify system interface
• Triple-level enable input for mode selection
• Dual PWM output drives for two synchronous rectified bridges
with single PWM input
• Channel synchronization and two interleaving options
• Support 3.3V PWM input
• Support 5V PWM output
• Tri-state PWM input and outputs for output stage shutdown
• Overvoltage protection
• Dual flat no-lead (DFN) package
- Near chip-scale package footprint; improves PCB utilization,
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
• TB363, “Guidelines for Handling and Processing Moisture
Sensitive Surface Mount Devices (SMDs)”
Phase Doubler Selection Guide
N/A 5.0V PWM DrMOS; ISL6336G, ISL6372/3/4/5/6, ISL6364/67/67H;
ISL6617, ISL6611A ISL6388/98 with 5V PWM Option
N/A 5.0V PWM DrMOS; 3.3V PWM Digital Controllers with Phase Doubler Compatibility;
ISL6617, ISL6611A ISL6388/98 with 3.3V PWM Option
5.0V Discrete MOSFET; ISL6336G, ISL6372/3/4/5/6, ISL6364/67/67H;
ISL6388/98 with 5V PWM Option
December 19, 2014
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Copyright Intersil Americas LLC 2014. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) is a trademark owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.