Dual PWM Controller For Powering AMD SVI Split-Plane
The ISL6328 dual PWM controller delivers high efficiency and
tight regulation from two synchronous buck DC/DC converters.
The ISL6328 supports power control of AMD processors, which
operate from a serial VID interface (SVI). The dual output
ISL6328 features a multi-phase controller to support the Core
voltage (VDD) and a single phase controller to power the
A precision core voltage regulation system is provided by a
one-to-four-phase PWM voltage regulator (VR) controller. The
integration of two power MOSFET drivers adds flexibility in layout
and reduces the number of external components in the
multi-phase section. A single phase PWM controller with
integrated driver provides a second precision voltage regulation
system for the Northbridge portion of the processor. This
monolithic, dual controller with an integrated driver solution
provides a cost and space saving power management solution.
For applications that benefit from load line programming to reduce
bulk output capacitors, the ISL6328 features temperature
compensated output voltage droop. The multi-phase portion also
includes advanced control loop features for optimal transient
response to load application and removal. One of these features
is highly accurate, fully differential, continuous DCR current
sensing for load line programming and channel current balance.
Dual edge modulation is another unique feature, allowing for
quicker initial response to high di/dt load transients.
The ISL6328 supports Power Savings Mode by dropping the
number of phases when the PSI_L bit is set.
• Processor Core Voltage Via Integrated Multi-Phase Power Conversion
• Configuration Flexibility
- 1 or 2-Phase Operation with Internal Drivers
- 3 or 4-Phase Operation with External PWM Drivers
• PSI_L Support
- Phase Shedding for Improved Efficiency at Light Load
- Diode Emulation in PSI mode
- Gate Voltage Optimization
• Precision Core Voltage Regulation
- Differential Remote Voltage Sensing
- 0.6% System Accuracy Over-Temperature
• Optimal Processor Core Voltage Transient Response
- Adaptive Phase Alignment (APA)
- Active Pulse Positioning Modulation
• Fully Differential, Continuous DCR Current Sensing
- Accurate Load Line Programming
- Precision Channel Current Balancing
- Temperature Compensated
• Serial VID interface Handles up to 3.4MHz Clock Rates
• Two Level Overcurrent Protection Allows for High Current
• Multi-tiered Overvoltage Protection
• Selectable Switching Frequency up to 1MHz
• Simultaneous Digital Soft-Start of Both Outputs
June 7, 2011
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 |Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2011. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) is a trademark owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.