VR11.1, 6-Phase PWM Controller with Phase Dropping,
Droop Disabled and Load Current Monitoring Features
The ISL6336D controls voltage regulators by driving up to 6
interleaved synchronous-rectified buck channels in parallel.
This multiphase architecture results in multiplying channel
ripple frequency and reducing input and output ripple currents.
Lower ripple results in fewer components, lower cost, reduced
power dissipation, and smaller implementation area.
The ISL6336D utilizes Intersil’s proprietary Active Pulse
Positioning (APP), Adaptive Phase Alignment (APA)
modulation scheme, active phase adding and dropping to
achieve and maintain the extremely fast transient response
with fewer output capacitors and high efficiency from light to
The ISL6336D is designed to be completely compliant with
Intel VR11.1 specifications with exception of droop disabled. It
accurately reports the load current via the IMON pin to the
microprocessor, which sends an active low PSI# signal to the
controller at low power mode. The controller then enters 1- or
2-phase operation option to reduce magnetic core and
switching losses, yielding high efficiency at light load. After the
PSI# signal is deasserted, the dropped phase(s) are added
back to sustain heavy load transient response and efficiency.
The ISL6336D senses the output current continuously by
utilizing patented techniques to measure the voltage across
the dedicated current sense resistor or the DCR of the output
inductor. Current sensing circuits also provide the needed
signals for channel-current balancing, average overcurrent
protection and individual phase current limiting. An NTC
thermistor’s temperature is sensed via the TM pin and
internally digitized for thermal monitoring and for integrated
thermal compensation of the current sense elements.
A unity gain, differential amplifier is provided for remote
voltage sensing and completely eliminates any potential
difference between remote and local grounds. This improves
regulation and protection accuracy. The threshold-sensitive
enable input is available to accurately coordinate the start-up
of the ISL6336D with any other voltage rail. Dynamic VID™
technology allows seamless on-the-fly VID changes. The offset
pin allows accurate voltage offset settings that are
independent of VID setting.
• Intel VR11.1 compliant with droop disabled
• Proprietary active pulse positioning (APP) and adaptive
phase alignment (APA) modulation scheme
• Proprietary active phase adding and dropping for high light
• Precision multiphase core voltage regulation
- Differential remote voltage sensing
- 0.5% closed-loop system accuracy over load, line and
- Bidirectional, adjustable reference-voltage offset
• Precision resistor or DCR differential current sensing
- Accurate channel-current balancing
- Accurate load current monitoring via IMON pin
• Microprocessor voltage identification input
- Dynamic VID™ technology for VR11.1 requirement
- 8-bit VID, VR11 compatible
• Average overcurrent protection and channel current limit
• Precision overcurrent protection on IMON pin
• Thermal monitoring and overvoltage protection
• Integrated programmable temperature compensation
• Integrated open sense line protection
• 1- to 6-phase operation, coupled inductor compatibility
• Adjustable switching frequency up to 1MHz per phase
• Package option
- QFN compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN - quad flat
no leads - product outline
• Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
October 6, 2014
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Copyright Intersil Americas LLC 2014. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) and Dynamic VID are trademarks owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.